Title: Fire Chief for the Charter Township of Comstock, Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Reports To: Township Supervisor
Positions Supervised: 2 paid full time employees and 50 paid on-call paid firefighters
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for overseeing administration and all functions related to fire and medical/rescue services provided by the Township through a combination of full time and paid on-call staff. Responsible for the supervision, evaluation,discipline, and recommends hiring and discharge of all subordinate members of the fire department. Represents Fire Department in meetings and conferring with various local, regional, State, and Federal committees and community groups.
A. Plans, develops and oversees administrative direction of the Fire Department to ensure safe and efficient operation in carrying out services as determined by the Board of Trustees; establishes standards for performance and safety; ensures that adequate number of qualified personnel are available, trained and properly supervised to fulfill overall responsibilities of the department.
B. Prepares and administers Fire Department's annual budget; monitors budget to ensure adherence to budgetary control; oversees personnel administration function within the department including reviewing time sheets/run sheets, and preparation of monthly payroll for full time and paid on-call staff.
C. Develops long-range plans for maintaining effective operations of department; researches, evaluates and recommends acquisition of facilities, fire fighting equipment and supplies; and reviews vendors invoices and other bills for purchases of supplies and equipment.
D. Oversees organization, development and scheduling of effective training programs for paid on-call firefighters.
E. Responds to fire and medical/rescue calls as necessary and assumes scene command when appropriate; may assist Township in responding to other community emergencies.
F. Conducts and/or participates invarious department and Township meetings; represents Township on various FireChief/Fire Department committees at Federal, State, regional, and local level. Assistin public speaking engagements, as needed.
G. Attends special technical training sessions to maintain and/or enhance knowledge of fire fighting techniques,methodologies, and management skills.
H. Oversees maintenance of site and pre-incident planning files; reviews building plans prior to new construction as necessary; and directs investigations to determine the cause(s) of fires.
I. Perform other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Township Supervisor and Board of Trustees.
A. Training andExperience:
1. Bachelors Degree or Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in fire service, public administration or administration: supplemented by at least seven (7) years of advanced responsibility in fireservice including two (2) years at the administrative or supervisory level; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
2. Attained fire fighter certification with ability to maintain state qualifications inFire Fighter I and II and hold a medical license as a First Responder.
3. Instruction in National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) code, Building Officials Code (BOCA), ordinances associated with area enforcement, modern firefighting techniques and methods, including Haz-Mat training.
4. Possess and/or obtain MFFTC Fire Officer I, II, and III certificates and Executive Fire Officer training.
5. Attain required FEMA and Homeland Security certification for First Responders and Command Officers.
6. Education of State laws relative tomanaging employees.
B. Knowledge, Abilitiesand Skills:
1. Plan,organize and direct the work of subordinates in a manner conducive to achieve full performance and maintain high morale within the department.
2. Possess and demonstrate appropriate fiscal budget procedures and expense accounting discipline.
3. Strong interpersonal skills to deal effectively with subordinates, Township personnel at all levels, vendors, representatives from various professional organizations and the general public.
4. Abilityto learn and correctly interpret Township Fire Service rules and regulations.
5. Successfully navigate Township and County geography and topography.
6. Function efficiently and effectively under stressful situations.
1. Able to work in all weather conditions occasionally in extremely hazardous conditions.
2. Must be able to ascend/descend ladders while carrying heavy objects and work effectively at the scene of an emergency.
3. Proficient operator of a wide variety of fire fighting equipment and apparatus.
4. Adept in the utilization of computer technology efficiently and effectively.
5. Physical capacity to lift heavy fire/rescue equipment and supplies weighing 50 pounds or more.
6. Possess a valid driver’s license without DUI/OUI violations.
7. Must relocate to reside within twenty(20) miles of the Charter Township of Comstock within 3 to 6 months of assuming the position of Fire Chief.
Note: The above statements describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the Comstock Township Fire Chief position. The job description is not a comprehensive statement of all duties, responsibilities or requirements for the position.
1. This is a full time position with a starting salary to be negotiated upon hire and with benefits including paid holidays, vacations and sick days; health/dental/life/vision insurance following a six (6) month probationary period.
2. Successful candidate must submit to and pass a background check, drug screening and a physical examination.
All applicants must have a valid driver’s license. Send resumes to: Charter Townshipof Comstock, P.O. Box 449, Comstock, MI 49041 or email to email@example.com. Deadline to apply: April 10, 2013 at 5 pm. Applications received after that date will not be considered. Charter Township of Comstock is an equal opportunity employer.